Saturday, March 22, 2014

Thing 18

I have resisted Twitter for years, and I am not too pleased that I now have an account.  From what little I know about Twitter, people post their every waking thought for the world to see.  I'm not really interested in reading about what someone did today or what someone ate.  I waste enough time and procrastinate enough.  The last thing I need is something else to make me waste more time.  I have Facebook.  That's enough for me.

I feel like I probably went into this activity with a bad attitude.  I wasn't very open or receptive to learning more about it.  I went into it with a negative attitude.  I looked around a bit at the educational hashtags.  I think social networking (or at least understanding it) is extremely important for today's educators.  Kids are using social networking, so educators may as well take advantage of these sites and appeal to students.  Social networking has advantages and disadvantages and the more educated teachers are about their inner workings, the better prepared they will be to use them.  I had never considered using Twitter to look at educational things.  I didn't love the hashtag search.  Most things seemed so broad and people can put a hashtag on anything, regardless of whether or not the information in the post is actually relevant to the hashtag.  I don't really see me ever using Twitter in the future or in my classroom.  I think there are other social networking sites that would be more useful.  I'm sure there are applications for Twitter in the classroom, but I don't really see me finding them or using it.  Twitter is simply not for me.

As I sat up my Twitter account, I clicked the "skip" button as much as possible, not wanting to find people to "follow".  I will probably delete this account as soon as I can.  I just don't see myself ever using it.   Here's the link to my profile, though there's no point in following me because I have not tweeted anything (nor do I plan to).  I didn't even come up with a creative profile or user name.  I kept the generic suggestion Twitter gave when I created the account.
https://twitter.com/Emily65212302

No comments:

Post a Comment