Saturday, March 22, 2014

Thing 15

I'm a little embarrassed to say that before completing the activities for this post, I didn't really know what wiki meant.  I've heard the term.  I've used wikipedia on multiple occasions.  I really liked the video because it explained everything in simple terms and really simplified everything about wikis, providing a great overview and explanation of what wikis are and how they might be used.

As I explored the wikis mentioned on the homepage, I was introduced to a variety of ways that wikis could be used in my future classroom.  For my post to APSU's sandbox wiki, I wrote about thing 14 and my experience with bubbl.us.  I don't know if this stands out to me because I very recently completed thing 14 or if it stands out because it's something I could definitely see using in my future classroom and is something that the nerd in me wishes I had known about when I was a student.  I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to post on the sandbox wiki.  It took me longer than it should have to figure out how to sign in, but once I was in, it was easy to write up a quick post.

One way I could see using a wiki in a classroom is creating a class supply list for students to consult: we could have a list of what we have and what we need to ensure we don't get 25 boxes of crayons and not a single box of pencils.  Another possible use would be for group assignments.  Groups could use the wiki to communicate with one another about who has done what and what needs to be done.  This would also allow me to monitor each group member's participation and provide input when needed.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your comment about using a wiki for a class supply list. It is an efficient way to get what your classroom needs and so parents are not purchasing supplies that won't be needed.

    ReplyDelete