Friday, February 21, 2014

Thing 8

I chose to use the puzzle mashup because this was one of the easiest ways I could see incorporating one of these apps into the classroom.  Actual puzzles can be ordered from the website.  The pictures on the puzzles could relate to what is currently being studied or have a picture of students from the class (if permission was given for minors to be in the pictures).  These puzzles could be part of different work stations- in lower elementary grades (K-1), this could help students develop fine motor skills.  In upper elementary grades (2-4), these could be used at indoor recess or for group activities.  What kid wouldn't like to see their face on a puzzle?  This could be used as an incentive to get students to try harder or progress through levels or something like that.  Students could be more motivated to work for this type of reward.  Teachers could also share this website with parents, who may want to purchase puzzles with pictures from school on them for home or the classroom.  This would give the parents another way to know about what is going on in the classroom.  The pictures on the puzzles could be specifically chosen to relate to the curriculum, which would provide students with a more hands-on and fun way to get involved in what they are learning.  If students are learning about the Great Wall of China, for example, they could complete a puzzle with an actual picture of it.



This is a personal picture that I chose from Portugal.  I picked it because it was one of the most surprising places I went.  This city was chosen at the last minute.  My friend and I found a bus, rode a few hours, and spent the day here.  A picture like this could be used in science or social studies when talking about geography, climate, maps, etc.  

I feel like, as with most things on the internet, sharing pictures has its time and place and should be done in moderation.  One thing to keep in mind when sharing photos is that once a photo is online, it is there forever.  People are too quick (in my opinion) to publish their every waking thought and picture.  Some things should remain private.  If you wouldn't want your grandmother to see it, you probably shouldn't post it.  However, I think sharing photos can be a wonderful tool.  They can be used to show students actual places being studied without the financial and logistical crises involved in taking students on field trips.  With the click of a mouse, students can be transported to nearly any time and place in the world.  Students can see what they are learning about, which makes things more relevant to their lives and may make them more interested and motivated to learn.  Personally, when I was abroad, sharing photos was a great way for me to stay in touch with family and friends at home.  I posted all of my photos on Facebook.  My parents were appreciative of this because it kept them updated of my whereabouts since I couldn't call home very often.  Photos I have seen online shared by others have often inspired me to want to visit faraway places and explore new cultures and places. One thing to keep in mind when it comes to sharing photos as a teacher is that you have to remain professional and make your settings more private so as not to have your personal life on display for all to see.  Also, posting photos of students may violate privacy laws, so permission would need to be granted to ensure that it was indeed okay for photos with students who were minors to be posted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment