Sunday, February 23, 2014

Thing 10

RSS feeds are something that I knew absolutely nothing about prior to doing the activities for thing 10.  I'll admit that I was a bit intimidated when I first started reading about it because it seemed like things were written in another language, but once I watched the YouTube video, I felt like I understood it more.  Then, when I used Feedly, I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use.  Now that I sort of understand it, I can see how useful it would be.  All the information comes to one place.  No longer do you have to check each individual site or blog for updates, instead, updates all come to one centralized location.  I like the idea of the time this could save.  I could get updates faster and not waste time exploring each individual site (which could lead me down a rabbit hole of distractions- wasting even more time and not doing what I need to do).
I could see how this would be useful for a teacher.  There are so many educational blogs out there, and if I found one I particularly liked, I could follow it and receive regular updates.  I wouldn't have to worry about remembering which site I liked and try to return to those websites regularly, instead, all updates from multiple places would be sent to one centralized place, allowing me to be updated on multiple things at once.  When I become a teacher, hopefully I will remember to use this and keep up with the educational blogs I have found while completing the things for this blog.  Blogs are full of great ideas and tips for things to do in the classroom.  Getting regular updates could bring great things to my classroom.  I probably don't see me using this in other areas of my life.  It seems useful and easy enough to use, but I probably won't simply because I waste enough time online and do not need to waste more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment