Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Thing 3

        I am getting certified in K-6.  Ideally, I would like to teach third grade.  Since I will be teaching such young students, using a blog will take a different form than it would in a high school classroom.  My students’ reading and writing abilities, not to mention typing abilities, will be much more limited than those of high school students.  Likely using a blog at this young of an age would not include posting and commenting by students.  In fact, I’m not sure of how exactly I would have such young students directly use a blog.  Instead, I think I would consult blogs and they would indirectly reap the rewards of what I learned from reading various blogs.  
I think I will more likely use blogs of other people than actually creating my own.  There are countless blogs on the internet that offer ideas from teachers from all over.  These blogs provide a way for teachers to learn new things and find new and different activities to incorporate into their classrooms.  Blogs may also offer insight into what has and has not worked in various scenarios in different classrooms.  Blogs provide a way to connect to other people and learn from their advice and experiences.  I feel sure that throughout this class, I will consult numerous blogs for ideas as I attempt to complete the 23 things.  Through the internet, information is now, more than ever, at our fingertips and consulting blogs that already exist may save me a great deal of time and effort and provide my students with the most enriching opportunities possible.  

Hopefully this class will enlighten me to some of the best blogs available so I can take full advantage of them as I graduate from this program and begin teaching.  As I’ve already said, I’m not a very creative person.  By consulting blogs, hopefully I will get ideas of how to incorporate more creative and fun things into my classroom.  I hope to take full advantage of the invaluable resource that blogs can be to me as I become a teacher.  If I did end up creating my own blog as a teacher, it could serve as a good resource to keep parents involved by providing them with up to date information about the happenings in my classroom and keep them alerted to important upcoming dates regarding school functions, tests, field trips, etc.  

2 comments:

  1. I would love to teach 3rd grade as well! I too will be consulting many blogs on my journey in this class. I feel like as I have gotten older my creativity has gone out the window. I like looking at other people's blogs to inspire me to be more creative myself. I think setting up a blog to keep the classroom happenings up to date is a great idea for those tech savvy parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how we lose our creativity with age. I feel like I was at least somewhat creative as a child, but what little creativity I had has since disappeared. Thank goodness for Pinterest! Without that, I would be so lost in trying to do anything semi-creative.

      Delete